Sunday, January 11, 2009

May Sarton

I was reading someone`s blog.They were talking about reading Mary Sarton,so I liked the excerpts from her books,ordered 2 of them,finished one already,an autobiography called Plant Dreaming Deep.When I finished it this am,I actually look at her name & it`s May Sarton.If you do a google search,she comes up as Mary Sarton too.
At any rate,I loved this book.She talks about putting down roots in Nelson,New Hampshire,the ghosts of the dead who lived in her "new" old home she bought,her neighbors & the struggles of owning a home in need of repairs,of planting flower gardens.
I`m ready to start the 2ond book I bought,Journal of a Solitude.That is what it is,& what Planting Dreaming Deep is,a journal of things that happen & how she handles it.
I hate to mark up the book with highlights,but as I read this one,I see I will have to write some things she talks about in it,her own depression & how she handles it,things like that so personal & thoughts we all have within us,but how she views it & gets over it.
"The reasons for depression are not as interesting as in the way one handles it,simply to stay alive.This morning I woke at 4am & lay awake for an hour or so in a bad state.It is raining again.I got up finally & went about the daily chores,waiting for the sense of doom to lift, what did it was watering the house plants.Suddenly joy came back because I was fulfilling a simple need,a living one.Dusting has never had ,but feeding the cats when they are hungry,giving Punch the parrot clean water,makes me feel calm & happy." She writes like that in a simple way,makes me feel better I`m not alone in some ways of thinking & living.

2 comments:

Aleta said...

It is reassuring to read others' thoughts and to recognize that you have the same ones. I think we all go through dark times, but it is the little things in life that pull us back into the light! Her books sound nice; I'll have to get one.

tiptoethruphylsgarden.blogspot.com said...

I`m looking for some of her books on poems now,after reading that one about the trees I posted about.I`m not much for poetry,but she has the same feelings about nature that I know you & I have,but expresses it so nicely.phylliso