Saturday, February 14, 2015

Sat.`s critters .id rather b birdin` and funny story

On a road close to my home there runs a gasline. The soil must be warmer along the gasline because the snow always melts the whole way up & down &green grass was showing at the end of Jan. I was driving down the road without my camera, & saw flocks of robins digging in that green grass. Of course no one believed me.
On Feb 7th I looked out my kitchen window & exclaimed to my friend on the phone, there is a robin in the tree out here. I hurriedly told Linda, wow, he must be waiting to get to the feeder, he is after the very expensive mealworms I bought at Tractor Supply. She said her goodbyes so I could try & get a picture. I grabbed my camera, & crept from window to window, snapping pictures. The 5 dogs all were sensing my excitement, so they tried to get in on whatever action was taking me to the door. I couldn`t believe he wasn`t flying away with all the barking & commotion. I get to the door & realized the "bird" had never moved. He also had no head! It was a rotten apple clinging to the tree outside my door!!!!!
Well, my creditability was shot with my friends. I excitedly told them, I DO have the flock of robins here that I saw in Jan.! I was able to prove it this time.  They were gathering mud in the lane, perhaps to make nests with? I hope they got the nests made because we are in for below 0 wind chills here tonight.
Link up with Eileen today at this link for your crittershttp://viewingnaturewitheileen.blogspot.com/
I am also linking to this for birdinghttp://id-rather-b-birdin.blogspot.com/
rotten apple
waving at me

15 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

always a good thing to see robins! laughed at the rotten apple. :)

Joyful said...

What a funny story! And, what great photos of the 'real robin'. Happy Valentine's Day!

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

The rotten apple certainly looks like a bird at first glance. It will be a while before you live that mistake down with your friends. Lovely to see so many Robins together.

Black Jack's Carol said...

I smiled at your story. It was the sort of thing that could happen to me :) But in the end, you did indeed prove your claim.

Anni said...

Lovin' this perfect sign of Spring!! Robins are so sweet and they share their songs of joy with us all. Great images added with humor...lovin' it.

Once again, thanks for taking time to add your link to share your birding post at I'd Rather B Birdin'!!!

eileeninmd said...

It is great to see all the robins, they must be finding something good to eat. I enjoyed the rotten apple story, the same thing has happened with a few of my photos. Thank you so much for linking up and sharing your post.. Have a happy day!

JoJo said...

LOL I'm thinking you might want to get some new glasses or something. We have robins here too and I think they are called winter robins. Kinda gaslights you into thinking that spring's almost here. Which it most certainly is not in my neck of the woods.

September Violets said...

How nice to see robins so early! I hope your rotten apple doesn't mind the bitter cold ;) I've trained my binoculars on a rusty coloured branch of cedars in my backyard, thinking it was some new bird ... disappointing to say the least!
Wendy

Ida said...

That is a funny story. Someday I may have to share my "bald eagle" sighting story.

It's great you got proof though of the real robins.

magnoliasntea said...

Your robin/apple story sounds like something I would do! Oh well, can't be perfect all the time, lol.
You sure have a lot of robins making mud pies. Ours drop mud on my car quite often. Have a great evening!

Debbie said...

My robins just starting coming a day or so ago. Hundreds in the yard and one tapping at my window. It seems so early, but I am so happy to see them. My trees have plenty of berries!!

Anonymous said...

That's a fun story. I keep thinking I see a Cardinal, then realize it's a blooming camellia in my neighbor's yard! I've started seeing Robins here, too.

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

We have robins here in winter because the temperatures aren't too low and I love watching them in my garden.

Aleta said...

That IS a funny story; sounds like something I'd do! We have robins come here in the winter by the hundreds, sometimes along with cedar wax wings, and cover the cedar trees, eating the berries. Haven't seen them yet this year in flocks, but have seen some. They don't migrate from here, just go into the woods.

A Colorful World said...

Oh what a delightful story! Gave me a laugh this morning...I loved it! Great photos of the robins (and the apple!) :-)