Wednesday, February 16, 2011

American Robin Turdus Migratorius

The robins are here.I believe some have wintered here.I swear I heard that warning sound that they make when someone is too close to their territory here this winter.
I am going to blog about "my"robin for world bird Wed.,& what led up to, in my mind, the closeness of this bird to me.
A couple of years ago the dh came to me & said,there`s a baby bird on the road up here & I don`t know what to do.I went up & sure enough,here was a baby robin who could not fly,but was large enough to survive if someone helped him off the road.The parents were above us,chirping a sad chirp,a blue jay waited to see what I was going to do.I know he was the reason that the bird fell to the ground.
I could not see the nest,so I picked him up & moved him in the woods by his parents but under a tree I knew I could find again if I had to.I came in & looked on the internet to see what I should do.Most everything I read said I was to do exactly what I did,allow the parents to care for him.When I went back to check,the parents had moved him.
We would go away & come home & parked at the bank of the forest where we always do,& we could see the parents rifting through the leaves,we guessed, feeding the wayward baby.
Later on in the years,& years to come,I noticed a robin with a wierd feather would follow me abou the yard.He would come so close I could almost pick him up.I like to imagine he is the baby we helped out.That will be one question I`ll ask God when I see Him.
This robin finally got a mate & they raised 2 clutches of little ones last year.They love to "decorate"their nests with all sorts of things,ribbons,goat fleece,walmart plastic bags.I would love to know if anyone else has ever seen this robin.I anxiously wait for him every year.
Go to the springman`s blog today & tomorrow by noon to see wonderful birds from around the world.http://thepineriverreview.blogspot.com/

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's just a great story! Made me smile.

theconstantwalker said...

Your Robin is a beautiful bird about the size of our Blackbird. Our Robin in Europe is similar to a sparrow. Lovely images.

mick said...

How lovely to have a robin that close to you and not afraid. It would be a perfect world to have all the birds like that!

Empty Nester said...

What a wonderful story! Thank you so much for sharing it!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful story! Nice photos too!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

The day before the 'big' blizzard hit a couple of weeks ago our fields were filled with these wonderful robins. Knowin' what the forecast was, I was thinkin' poor little mixed up things must of gotten their brains frozen!!! Heeehehe!!!

Wonderful pictures sweetie!!!

God bless ya and have a most beautiful day! :o)

tiptoethruphylsgarden.blogspot.com said...

I didn`t mention that I call this robin,"my robin with the wierd feather." He has been coming here for at least 4 years,my Max was still alive when I first started noticing him because of his feather.I really believe when the baby bird fell,his feather grew like that,it just makes sense to me & how he seems to know me.
I believe I`ve made it to all of your lovely blogs,thanks for visiting me today,got to go hunt down some of the other birders to see what they are up to,phylliso

Little Wren said...

How amazing. :) Your robin is lovely too. I'm so glad they're back. Spring can't be far behind. :)

Springman said...

I'm with you on this one, same bird. Interesting the attachments that develop between species. I think it is a wonderful thing. I wait for the Baltimore Orioles every spring with the same kind of anticipation! ;-)WBW

Debra said...

Hi Phyllis!
I also had a robin-I had to care for it after a cat attacked the nest and there were no parents around. I had a friend who was a wild life rehabilitator, so I had lots of good info. Otherwise, it is a very hard job to raise them, and you must be careful not to get too attached. Well, I fell in love with 'Boo,' as we called him, but finally got him to take off (after about 6 weeks, he grew up and could fly well). I have lots of great pictures of him, and I really believe it was a gift from God-the whole experience. Robins are my fav birds because of their gorgeous song. We always have a few that overwinter here, but I imagine Boo has gone to heaven by now...
I love your robin story too...
~Debra

Sondra said...

Great story and photos! Robins are flocking up around here right now...