Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Blue Jay cyanocitta cristanta

My bird for world bird Wed.is the bluejay.They are from a family of birds called corvidae,which includes the American Crow as well as other types of jays.
I always wondered where the phrase"naked as a jaybird"comes from,& I found out when I did some reading about the bluejay.They are born naked,not much down or anything covering them.I found a baby naked bird last year & couldn`t for the life of me think of what kind of bird it could have been,now I know.
The bluejay can be a noisy bird,especially when they band together to fight off predator birds.I`ve also seen them bopping their heads,& have heard them making soft,musical,almost bell-like sonds when they are communicating with their mates.Jays will store huge amounts of seeds & nuts in the forest & are responsible for enough of seed dispertion to start new pine trees & oak trees.I have seen all of this with my own eyes.This baby blue jay looks funny without his "crown".
Go to the springman`s blog athttp://worldbirdwednesday.blogspot.com/to see all the beautiful bird pictures from around the world.
I have since thrown this bird feeder away!

8 comments:

holdingmoments said...

I love these Blue Jays Phyllis.
One of my favourites; beautiful colour.

theconstantwalker said...

Beautiful colours. Your Blue Jay is a lovely bird to see.

Unknown said...

Beautiful aren't they? Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Sondra said...

One of my very favorite birds...I have seen young with that ugly duckling look, but they sure do get Pretty as it goes along!

Empty Nester said...

I love blue jays- Your photos are great!

Springman said...

I like the feeling you envoke for the Regal Bluejay. I would love to hear it's softer voice. Great post Phyllis!

Anonymous said...

I love to watch the antics of these birds! Nice shots!

Mary said...

Great photos! It does look very strange without the crest1