Wednesday, November 16, 2011

World bird Wed.turkey & black faced vultures

I have posted this post several times & sorry about the repost,but it is world bird Wed.& this is all I got !
Back in Nov.2009,we had a sight here that was unbelievable.Every afternoon about 4pm till dark our forest would fill with both black faced vultures & red-faced turkey vultures.Our elderly neighbor would yell out-"I`m not dead yet!",but still the woods filled with these ugly birds I am quite taken with.They are natures clean up crew & I mused that someone got a deer & it died in our neck of the woods,unfound.I never found it,but surely appreciated their presence as they gathered & peppered our woods with their white droppings.
In the mornings I noticed that they would warm up their wings,slowly & purposely,letting the air catch the morning dew before they glided away.
So,everyone,go blog your photos of backyard yards today,it`s the Springman`s anniversary! at this link...http://pineriverreview.blogspot.com/

9 comments:

theconstantwalker said...

Wonderful birds to see..

TexWisGirl said...

love it! twin posts!!!

Larry said...

I love Vultures and we certainly need them. You are lucky to have both the Turkey Vulture and the Black Vulture in your neck of the woods!

Springman said...

Great captures of the secret lives of these ominious meat eaters. I'm sure this eruption had a lot of people spooked out!
Cheers Phyllis!

holdingmoments said...

That must have been an amazing sight to see.

V.L. Locey said...

Very cool!

Anonymous said...

I love seeing the Turkey Vultures that occasionally circle overhead! They're beautiful in flight.

God's Little People said...

Wow, I'm sure that felt a bit eerie!! Amazing images though - what a sight to have from your house.
Hoping you are well,
love from Greece
Joan

Debra said...

I love these guys. Your photos are wonderful.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Phyllis!
Love, Debra