Saturday, July 30, 2011

A Surprise

Last night at 9pm my daughter-in-law rolled in here.It`s still your birthday,she said,& my sisters & I feel that you should have mom`s spinning wheel.
They are going through their mother`s things before the house gets locked up as she had financial debt & didn`t own her home.
The wheel was never used by her.She & her husband bought it at an auction.
It is antique & is missing some parts.But it really touched me that the girls would want me to have it.They said they remembered their mom saying,don`t touch that,don`t spin that around,get off it.
I had to smile ,I could hear Nancy saying that.Now I have to find someone to work on it,but the dh has already started.The bobbin is really small.I will probably need someone`s help at least to make more bobbins.
It smells like Nancy`s home,a mixture of cigarette smoke & Vicks she rubbed on her legs.
It is a small wheel.Theresa found a part in her car that was missing,today,the mother of all.The dh made a footman thing for my antique flax wheel,it`s a piece of wood that connects the pedal to the wheel,this one will need one too.Maybe the Mannings will know someone who works on them.

6 comments:

LEADTOCHINA said...

Cool dog, Shepherd?

tiptoethruphylsgarden.blogspot.com said...

He`s a sheltie,welcome to my world,phyllis

Little Wren said...

What a thoughtful thing to do! Congrats on the new wheel! :) It's lovely and looks like the antique it is.

tiptoethruphylsgarden.blogspot.com said...

My heart is hurting today for Nancy,thank-you for comments,phyllis

LEADTOCHINA said...

Wow, Sheltie, nice!

Lilac Haven said...

NIce to have as a remembrance of your friend.